“If you’re going to pick, pick responsibly”.
There is a reason you repeatedly hear, DON’T PICK YOUR PIMPLES. Doing so can result in scarring and the spread of bacteria, leading to more blemishes.
Think about it… squeezing blemishes with your fingers is like using a 7-tonne backhoe to pick a daisy! The force alone can cause bruising and damage skin cells.
We get it though, blemishes like open comedones (blackheads (1)) are annoying and can be unsightly. Some folks require the skilled hand and professional experience of a licensed esthetician to extract them. Others use prescribed OTC medications or cosmetic treatments to clear and exfoliate these pesky black spots. However, what if you have reactive and sensitive skin that won’t tolerate regular use of mechanical and/or chemical exfoliants, medications aren't effective, or perhaps you only experience the occasional blackhead?
Our professional grade 24k Gold & Platinum Plated, Blackhead Extractor & Tweezer Set is perfect for managing blackheads. With the slightest pressure, in a small localized area, you are minimizing the risk of damaging your skin.
Having said that, its not enough. There are important steps that we highly recommend you follow to truly manage your skin gently through the extraction process.
- Cleanse face & hands thoroughly with cleanser/soap and warm water.
- Use a warm (not hot) towel compress to soften skin.
- Optional: gently massage area with skin conditioner or preferred moisturizer to loosen blackheads and lubricate skin.
- LOOP EXTRACTOR: Place loop opening over clogged pore. Apply gentle pressure and move across the area to release contents.
- TWEEZERS: Apply gentle pressure with the flat bottom of the tweezers on either side of comedo. Once it is raised, gently grab & pull the plug out.
- NOTE: Don’t continue if the clogged pore does not easily release the plug. Try again another time.
- Gently cleanse the skin after completion.
- Apply Zyderma HS Clarifying Cream (a necessary step to manage bacteria).
- Thoroughly wash and rinse tools after each use.
Keep in mind, there is no permanent way to rid yourself of blackheads. Be kind and gentle as you manage the natural stages of your skin.
Daily use of our Gentle Foaming Cleanser along with our Konjac Facial Sponge will help lift away debris and dead skin cells that can contribute to comedones. Follow up with the Clarifying Cream to manage the bacteria that can cause or worsen skin issues. By combining these products, you are supporting your skins natural process for healthy looking skin.
Here's a helpful video from certified skin therapist and one of our amazing stockists, Christine Preston of My Skin Discovery.
PS - Be judicious to avoid damaging your skin. For instance, if you can't see the tiny black spots with your naked eye, then best to leave them alone. They could be sebaceous filaments. People often confuse sebaceous filaments with blackheads. Blackheads are a form of acne. Sebaceous filaments are not a type of acne, they are normal structures within the skin (2). They can become clogged and be just as noticeable as blackheads, so if you're unsure, consult a skincare professional.